Sunday, November 27, 2016

Taos Filmmaker Pays It Forward

When New Mexico documentary director Jody McNicholas first started raising funds for her latest project, a DVD of the finished film was included in most of the Indiegogo perks.

Now that the DVDs have finally been pressed, the 39 people who helped raise $5,100 for Longshotville are this month receiving the discs. But there's an additional, intriguing twist. In Taos, people can also purchase the DVDs at a place called Michelle's, to help one of McNicholas' colleagues.



From the Longshotville Facebook page:

100% of all Longshotsville DVD sales for 2016 go toward post-production funds for Ramona Emerson's film The Mayors of Shiprock.

McNicholas' film follows a group of actors training at the Metta Theatre in Taos, under the guidance of president and workshops teacher Bruce McIntosh. Emerson's film is about a young group of residents on a Navajo Nation reservation trying to improve their group's ways of life.

Longshotville screened just before the Thanksgiving holiday in Albuquerque, at the 3rd annual Pueblo Film Festival. Ahead of the November 19th-20th event, she told the Albuquerque Journal that working alongside the young group of Metta Theatre acting students inspired her to return to school:

“I’m 50, and I think Julia was 17. Everyone else was in their early 20s,” she says. “There’s something magical about being around people when they are young. I love how courageous they were. Following them made me stand true to my own dreams. I went to document their dreams, and it made me reflect on my own life.”

“I’ve been on the fence about being a filmmaker,” she says. “It’s a lot of work and you have to be passionate. I didn’t go to school for film and I’ve been winging it. I needed to go to school to understand what I’m doing technically.”

Which McNicholas is now doing at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design.

[Walk-in Productions]

No comments:

Post a Comment