Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Detroit Break-In Puts a Crimp on House-Techno Doc

The 2014 high point, for LA-based filmmaker Kristian Hill, was traveling to the south of France for a screening of the first installment of his short film series Electric Roots: The Detroit Sound Project at the Cannes Film Festival.

The 2014 low point, at least for the moment, is a bad-luck Monday August 11th car break-in in his native Detroit that claimed $8,500 in camera and sound gear as well as, more crucially, reams of audio related to a subsequent installment. From an item by Detroit Free Press breaking news reporter Katrease Stafford:

"I can’t even begin to say how important it is to get that [audio] back," he said. "That audio, it’s my movie. I hope it turns up, just somehow. While I’ve been here, I interviewed close to 20 people, not only did I interview 20 people, but I videotaped and documented at least 20 performances. It’s a rather wide-ranging effect that not having the audio would have on my film. Everything I’ve done is on that device."



Having paid the price for foolishly leaving filmmaking equipment in plain sight in his car, Hill has begun documenting his search to locate the stolen material via Tumblr. Atop the page, currently, are a pair of photos of pawn shops he has visited.

[Electric Roots: The Detroit Sound Project]

No comments:

Post a Comment